Forums featuring Ward 8 City Council Candidates in the Running for the April 28, 2015 Special Election
Please note: Because conditions and/or circumstances are subject to change, please inquire with the specific contact(s) listed below in advance of any given event to obtain the most up-to-date information available.
Forum events are listed in order of occurrence:
1. The organization Women In Politics will sponsor a forum on February 28th at Ambassador Baptist Church, 1412 Minnesota Avenue, SE. For more information, contact ANC Commissioner Theresa Jones (8D07) at 202-561-7318.
2. March 24th, Tuesday, 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm, Gertrude Stein Democratic Club endorsement forum, Bethlehem Baptist Church, 2458 Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue, SE. The moderator will be Sam Ford, WJLA-TV reporter. Only candidates who are registered Democrats will be eligible to participate. Anyone who is a member of the club 30 days before this forum will be eligible to vote and a candidate must receive 60% of the votes to receive the endorsement. Potential members can join the club at http://www.steindemocrats.org/membership/. For more information contact email@example.com.
3. March 25th, Wednesday, 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm, DC Federation of Civic Associations (DCFCA) forum, Thurgood Marshall Academy Public Charter School, 2437 Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue, SE. Tom Sherwood, WNBC-TV reporter has been invited to be the moderator. The DCFCA will sponsor forums for the special elections in Wards 4 and 8 on its regular meeting dates (the fourth Wednesday) in March and April. You are encouraged to become a member of a DCFCA affiliate. For more information, contact the First Vice President, Philip Pannell, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. April 1st, Wednesday, 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm, Ward 8 City Council Collaborative Candidates Forum and Straw Poll, sponsored by the Anacostia Coordinating Council, Ballou High School PTSA, ANC 8C and other organizations, Ballou HS, 3401 4th Street, SE. For more information, contact the forum chairman, ANC Commissioner Charles Wilson (8A05), at email@example.com.
5. April 8th, Wednesday, 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm, Anacostia/Bellevue/Congress Heights AARP Chapter #4870 forum, Covenant Baptist United Church of Christ, 3845 South Capitol Street, SW. Denise Rolark Barnes, publisher of the Washington Informer and former DC AARP state president has been invited to moderate. For more information, contact the chapter president, Philip Pannell, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. April 13th, Monday, 6 pm, Emergency Ward 8 Debate On Violence & Returned Citizens, hosted by Washington Informer's Denise Rolark Barnes at Emanuel Baptist Church, 2409 Ainger Pl. SE. Questions will be asked by Clinton Yates of the Washington Post and Rock Newman of WHUT's Rock Newman Show.
7. April 18th, Saturday, 10 am to 1 pm, NAACP Youth and College Division forum, Union Temple Baptist Church.
8. April 20th, Monday, 6:30 pm, Washington City Paper. The debate will be held on the second floor of Uniontown Bar and Grill (2200 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. SE) and will begin at 6:30 p.m. Moderators for the evening will be Loose Lips columnist Will Sommer, Nikki Peele of Congress Heights on the Rise, and NBC4 reporter Mark Segraves. Doors open at 5 p.m., and space is limited to around 100 people. Send questions using the Twitter hashtag #LLDebate, and check back next week for audio.
9. April 22nd, Wednesday, 6 pm to 8 pm, DC Statehood Autonomy Candidate Forum at The Islamic Heritage Museum (2315 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. SE Washington DC 20020). Among the topics: Statehood, Budget Autonomy, Education, Seniors, and Housing. Moderators: James Wright, Staff Writer for the Washington Informer, Journalist Aaron Davis from the Washington Post, Anise Jenkins, Stand Up for Democracy in DC (Free DC), Lino Stracuzzi with the Statehood Green party, Sen. Michael Brown.